statcounter

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Josh Gordon is a long way from getting it

Josh Gordon is headed back to rehab, the Cleveland Browns announced.


It's back to rehab for troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon. "25-year-old Gordon just issued a statement saying, 'After careful thought and deep consideration I've decided that I need to step away from pursuing my return to the Browns and my football career to enter an in-patient rehabilitation facility,'" says TMZ. 'This is the right decision for me and one that I hope will enable me to gain full control of my life and continue on a path to reach my full potential as a person. I appreciate the support of the NFL, NFLPA, and the Browns, my teammates, my agent and the community through this extremely challenging process.'"

In-patient is the way to go for Gordon who clearly can't stay sober out in the world. It's hard but sometimes the only solution is to retreat, shut down, clean out and try to get straight. Will Gordon succeed this time and get back on the right road? Impossible to say. But here's one thing I know: Whatever Gordon is using, he is a true addict. He has so much to lose and yet can't get get clean. That tells me he loves the pot and the booze more than football, more than fame, more than wealth. It's like that sometimes. Having something to lose is not necessarily enough incentive to get straight. Those who've never struggled with addiction don't get that. I've been guilty of it in the past. But I get it now.

I hope Gordon gets it together, but there's a very good chance he won't. That's the harsh reality. There's a better-than-even chance that he'll never kick it and never get back to being a superstar receiver. But the football part is irrelevant now. All that matters is Gordon kicking his habits. After that he can worry about football.

No comments:

Post a Comment